A couple of days ago, Atlassian announced they are sunsetting their Server products to sharpen their focus as a Cloud-first company. While this change won’t happen overnight, and they are leaving up to three years for their Server community to make the switch to either their Cloud or their Data Center offering, planning a migration requires careful thoughts to evaluate options, choose the one that’s right for you and implement it. Rest assured, Elements has a plan to support you through this transition, no matter where you stand and where you want to go.
In this blog, we’ll review the changes timeline and share with you our commitments to our Server customers and resources to help you navigate these changes. Our goal is to give you visibility with regards to the future of our Jira and Confluence apps, so you have all the information you need to design your migration plan.
Summary of Atlassian’s announcement
In order to focus on its Cloud offering, Atlassian will stop selling new Server products starting February 2nd 2021 and will fully stop maintaining the Server products in February 2024. New apps sales for existing Server licenses won’t be possible after February 2023. This leaves Server customers up to three years to plan and execute their migration.
One important thing to note is that pricing for renewals and upgrades of Server will also increase by around 15% in February 2021.
Atlassian has put in place several mechanisms that will help you switch platform:
- Loyalty discounts for their products to help transitioning to Cloud or Data Center (decreasing over time to incentivize you to switch at the earliest possible date)
- Extended free trials for Cloud
- Multi-year contracts
We advise you to reach out to Atlassian or your Solution Partner for more information about pricing and how to take advantages of these mechanisms.
Navigating these changes
With significant changes, comes significant questions. We’ve gathered resources that answer the most prominent ones we’ve received over the past few days in the sections below.
Our commitments to our Server customers
We know these changes have a significant impact on our Server customers, and we’re here to help you through this transition. Here’s a summary of our commitments to you:
- Server: we will continue to offer support for our Server apps until the end of Atlassian’s support period in 2024.
- Data Center: we do offer a Data Center version of all our apps. This version offers the same features as your Server version and is frequently tested against scalability and security issues. We will continue to support and ship new features to our apps on this platform.
- Cloud: Over the past year, we’ve been working a lot on taking our flagship products to Cloud. We’re proud to say all of our apps now have a Cloud version. We know there’s currently a gap in functionality between our Server products and our Cloud apps. In the coming months, we’ll work on making sure the value you can get from our Cloud apps exceeds the one you currently get with our Server apps. We will also invest in easing the migration from our Server products to our Cloud apps.
Resources for our apps
We have created some resources to keep you updated of the key differences between the Cloud / Server & Data Center versions of our apps. These pages will be continuously updated with our apps status regarding Cloud:
Atlassian’s migration resources
Atlassian has created a lot of content to help their customers on their journey to Cloud or Data Center. We’ve curated a list of the resources we think are most useful:
|Cloud resources||Data Center resources|
We’re on this journey together
Over the past decade, over 2200 customers have put their trust in our Server apps. We’re very grateful for that and want to thank you for your continued support.
The Elements team is fully committed to making your path to Cloud or Data Center as seamless as possible. Feel free to contact our support team for any concerns that you might have: you can count on us to answer your questions, provide guidance, and offer 1:1 support throughout your journey to cloud.